Interesting facts about snakes include…
- Snakes are found on every continent in the world with the exception of Antarctica.
- There are approximately 2,978 known species of snakes in the world that encompass 420 genera and 17 families.
- Snakes are in the order Squamata and class Reptilia.
- Snakes can live up to 40 years, depending on the species.
- Most reproduce by laying eggs while others bear live young and some develop inside eggs within the female.
- Snakes reach sexual maturity at 1 to 3 years of age, although the exact age varies based on species.
- The heaviest snakes in the world is the green anaconda. It can weigh up to 500 lbs.
- The shortest is the thread snake, which measures just 4.5 inches in length while the longest is the reticulated python, which can measure up to 33 feet in length.