Interesting facts about Salmon include…
- Salmon can be found in both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans and in some inland lakes, including the Great Lakes.
- However, most are born in freshwater streams and rivers, but travel to saltwater to live most of their lives.
- Salmon return to freshwater for spawning, with about half of all species of salmon and all Pacific salmon dying within a few weeks of spawning.
- Salmon vary in length, depending on species, with the Chinook salmon reaching lengths of 5 feet.
- Salmon can weigh up to 110 pounds and have a lifespan of up to 8 years.
- Notably, salmon populations in many places are on the decline, with populations in the Colorado River only at 3 percent of the levels they were when Meriwether Lewis and William Clark explored the area.