Here are some key facts about Elephants:
- Elephants are classified by two distinct species: Asian or African.
- Both species are herbivores that stand up to 12 feet tall and can weigh as much as 12,000 lbs.
- Elephants live in herds and can have a lifespan of up to 70 years.
- The diet of the elephant consists of grass, roots and fruit.
- The elephant spends around 22 hours a day eating.
- Elephants are known to search for green leaves in the tree tops and to even tear trees down to get them.
- Elephants chew their food with their 26 teeth. Notably, the elephant’s 24 molars replace themselves six times during the life of the elephant, with each subsequent set of molars growing in bigger than the ones before.