Some key facts about bald eagles include…
- Bald eagles have white heads with yellow beaks
- They are the national bird of the United States, that they were nearly made extinct by DDT but have re-emerged, that they are carnivorous, that they weigh up to 14 lbs. and that they have a wingspan of 6 to 8 feet long.
- The bald eagle can also live up to 28 years in the wild and builds large stick nests for its young high up and off the ground.
- Interestingly, it is also thought that bald eagles choose one mate that they keep for life. When bald eagles mate, they have babies that are completely dark in color ranging from dark brown to black. As they grow, the birds will change colors to sport the white head and yellow beak.
- Young birds will also stay with their parents until they are approximately 5 years old.