Interesting facts about alligators include:
- Alligators are carnivorous reptiles who live in and near freshwater lakes, swamps and marshes of southeastern United States and China.
- The American alligator is most abundantly found in Louisiana and Florida, with more than one million found in each state.
- A fully grown American alligator weights about 800 lbs. and is 13 feet long on average.
- The Chinese alligator is half that size with only about one dozen found in the wild along the Yangtze River.
- Alligators are apex predators and have no natural enemies in the wild.
- They eat fish, snails, turtles and any small mammals that reside in their habitat.
- A juvenile alligator grows an 1 inch per year until fully grown at about 6 years old.