Interesting facts about the octopus include…
- There are more than 300 different octopus species in the world.
- The largest is the giant Pacific octopus, which has an arm span of up to 14 feet and weighs up to 156.5 lbs.
- The California octopus is the smallest species and is about the same size as a tennis ball; this species is sometimes kept as pets.
- The octopus is a master of using camouflage to protect itself from predators. It can also move quickly through the water and hide.
- The octopus has a unique escape mechanism that also protects it from predation: its ability to squirt black ink into the water while it makes an escape.
- An octopus may use shells for protection.
- See this amazing video of how they do it.